Sunday, September 12, 2010

Colloquia utilia et gaudia

How many of you have seen a TED talk before? I can't remember where I first heard of them, but they're conferences at which some of the best thinkers and creators of our time come to talk. The videos of their lectures are then posted for free on www.ted.com You can find lectures on so many topics: technology, morality, economics, chaos theory, art, education, biology, entertainment, psychology, I could go on. Even if you can't find one specifically for classroom use, you'll be able to find one that informs you professionally or inspires you personally.

This weekend I found one for the math teachers. Useful to all teachers of course, but this one is particularly about how math needs a make-over

I found it fascinating because his presentation basically throws the whole idea of scaffolding out the window, and in a way I'm convinced. Obviously patient problem solving and general mathematical reasoning are their own skill sets, but I think we can all learning something from him. Maybe more help isn't what are students need, just more engaging tasks and more time to practice them.

I also found Dan Meyer's blog It seems to be a way for him to discuss what he does in his class with others concerned with math education; it doesn't seem to be a class tool for his students. Reading the posts and the comments left by colleagues, I think he's created a very useful medium for himself. I particularly enjoyed the posts "WCYDWT: Dirt" (inspired by the film Holes) and "Making Multimedia Earn Its Keep"

2 comments:

  1. Hey I saw the word "math" hyperlinked in your blog so I had to check it out, hence me wanting to be a math teacher! Thanks for the link!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am a big fan of TED talks. Since not all your classmates may choose to read your blog post, could you post something similar in the Coffee House forum. I think many people could benefit from knowing about TED talks in general and the ones you mentioned in particular.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete